Translate

Monday, June 15, 2015

My letter to the President of the United States... and his reply.

Darla Williams
Address Omitted
California

Dear Mr. President:

I know you are busy and I’m sure you get tons of letters, and I’m not even sure if they get to your desk. But, I wanted to reach out to you about our Early Childhood Education system. I have been an Early Childhood professional for over 20 years. I have never made a lot of money, but I love the children and profession so much I didn’t care.

I see a lot of articles about schools being given grants to open Pre-Kindergarten programs, and as much as I feel this is honorable, I think the teachers have been forgotten. Simply put, they need more money. They do this job out of passion. A little known fact is that most of these teachers live under the poverty line and have to get public assistance, such as food stamps, to survive.

 And I’ll bet most of them take their own money to spend on their students, from food for cooking projects to stickers and prizes for kids who make an exceptional effort in learning. Even with these grants, many materials and extras aren’t budgeted by our schools. I know this happens because I’ve lived it. What mattered to me the most was that my students had a wonderful Early Childhood experience--even though I was living check to check.

I know you are an educated man and, to me, an amazing President, though I don’t know a lot about what your job entails and the amount of stress you are under. But, I live this life every day, and I want more than anything for Early Childhood to be a profession that is taken seriously—through a more competitive pay scale, and greater, modernized standards for teachers that will result in a better name and reputation for the industry. It has become my life mission to achieve this.

I currently work at a non-profit organization in a preschool class with homeless children, and it is the most challenging position that I have ever had in my 20 years. As I set plans to take my experience to another, higher level as an advocate for Early Childhood education, I send this letter for not myself, but the other teachers that are working so hard and so under-appreciated in the field.

I hope that you or one of your representatives respond to this letter in a way you see as appropriate. But please understand that my love for the Early Childhood Education field is not a single action--I know there are more of us out there, and compensating them competitively and helping them understand that what they do is just as important as what an elementary school teacher does would mean so much to them, and help create a better industry to give young children the strong educational foundation they need to be successful.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Darla Williams

Early Childhood Educator
darlatheteacher@gmail.com

ECE Blogger- Darla The Teacher- (www.fatcheeksnet.blogspot.com)





                                          President Obama's Reply:

For a clearer copy, please see my Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/darlatheteacher
Please see under Notes.

No comments: