Translate

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

It's not about you!



Gross Motor Play



It's not about you, it's about the children in your care. I don' t know how many times I have heard a teacher say "I don't want to go outside, it's too cold/hot out there. Students need to develop their gross motor skills, and when a teacher keeps them in doors because they don't want to go outside that day, they are preventing their development.

Each class should have a temperature chart posted. The chart tells the teacher when it is too cold or hot for the students to go outside. The teacher can also get news updates when the weather is not safe for students that might have medical conditions.

When weather conditions are unsafe for students, that is the only time students should be keep from going outside. Otherwise, students should be allow to get their outside time daily.

There were many times in my career as a teacher that I didn't want to go outside, because I was tired and didn't want to stand up for 30 minutes. But I knew my students were looking forward to outside time, so I went out anyway. Instead of standing around, I started playing tag with the students and forgot all about how tired I was. Before I knew it, it was time to go inside. I got some exercise and my students had a wonderful time.

Keep in mind that being a teacher is about the students, not about you.


No comments: