Translate

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Growing as a teacher and professional






 I have been in positions where I've worked with unprofessional and inexperienced teachers.This has made me second guess how I feel about Early Childhood. I wondered if maybe I expected too much from the children and staff that I worked with. I struggled with my commitment to educating children and how often I used my own money and time, just so the students would have a good preschool experience.

I never felt appreciated from teachers, or management, it seemed as thought all my hard-work was expected, even though most of them weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing.
I wondered if I push others too hard to become better teachers. I insisted that they follow State Rules and Regulations even when I knew management wasn't doing so.

 I had goals that no one seem to understand, and I believed whole-heartily that educating young children was of up-most importance. But when I talked to others, they shook their heads as though they agreed, but their actions said something totally different.

I concerned myself with what others thought of me as a teacher, and hoped that they agreed with my philosophy and wondered if they thought my teaching style was too much or too little.

Then I just stopped, stopped wondering, stop guessing and worked toward being the best educator I could be.  I no longer worried about my teaching philosophy or what others thought of it. If my students were happily learning that was all I needed.

 I am still ensuring that all State Rules and Regulations are being followed, even when teachers feel it’s impossible to do so. I feel like that it part of being a good teacher.  I will never change how I feel based on my situation or that of the center I am working in. As long as I understand who I am, as a professional and educator, that’s all that matters.

I hope this post help other teachers that feel like their beliefs and commitment to Early Childhood is not appreciated or understood.


No comments: