Translate

Friday, May 9, 2014

Teaching requires not only liking children, but adults too


Created by a student; age 6


When I first read the Article in the “Brattleboro Reformer Opinion, on “Early Childhood Education Matters,” I immediately was drawn to the paragraph that said, “Part of the challenges lies in the fact that you cannot go into this work because you like children—in fact, you have to like adults too; since young children are part of families."
  
Although the article contained a lot of good information, this section stood out to me, I don’t think a lot of teachers understand this. I don’t think I did as a young teacher in the field, I just wanted to teach. I did not consider that as an educator it would also be my responsibility to educate the parents on ways to help their children develop.

I think we also need to understand each family on an individual basis and not based on race or their economic backgrounds, since each family is different, even though they might be from the same neighborhood or in the same place financially, their experiences and beliefs can be quite different.

I have met parents that are very passionate about their children’s education. And some of them are not where they would like to be in their lives, but they work hard to communicate what they need for their children. This has opened me up to new ways of teaching.  If I had judged them based on their current life situations, I would not have had the opportunity to learn so much from them and their children.

The article also talks about how children in certain situations might be able to overcome them as adults, if they have a good Early Childhood foundation. If children enter kindergarten ahead or with some knowledge of what they need to know, they have a better chance of success. If we concentrate on these concepts without judgment, we can educate our students so that they are ready for the next level of academics.

Early Childhood talks a lot about the whole child, we must also consider the whole family and try to understand each family structure so that we can better serve them. Observing a family during drop- off and pick-up times is a great way to get to know the family. Listening to how the parents communicate with their children will give you ideas on the words they use and how the child reacts to them; you can later implement some of these positive techniques into your communication with the students.

Talking to the parents on how they reiterate what their child has learned in class will give you some ideas on review techniques. I believe the more you step out of your box, the more creative you become as a teacher.

 http://www.reformer.com/opinion/ci_25610395/early-childhood-education-matters




No comments: