Translate

Monday, August 19, 2013

Pre-Toddler Classes

*Toddlers*


At the Summit School of Ahwatukee the facilities offer a pre-toddler class to give toddlers a start to their education career.  The class is offered to children age 18-36 months every Tuesday and Thursday from 9-11 a.m., the parents are also welcome to stay with their child during the session.

“The Toddler Discoveries is geared to better assist toddlers with the transition of entering school for the first time, giving them a chance to be familiar with what schooling consists of.”

I initially read this article so that I could share it with my followers on twitter, but then I begin thinking about how we work so hard to get our Pre-Kindergarten students ready for the next level of their educational journey but we forget about our younger students.

I assisted in a Toddler class for about 6 months, a class that I have never taught in before, but it was a good learning experience.  What I noticed is that the teachers were so focused on doing their curriculum that they didn't think about preparing their students for the next phrase of their educational experience; the two year old class.

In the two year old class the students were using regular drinking cups and cleaning up their toys at the end of playtime.  But the toddlers were still using sippy cups and never cleaned up after playing with their toys; although they were fully capable of doing so.

What the teachers seem to have forgotten is that curriculum is only a part of a student’s development, especially at that age.  They could have begun working with the older students on cleaning; even if it was one bucket of toys, and removing the lids from the cups for lunch time.  This would have given the students a smoother transition into the 2 year old class.

I also worked in a 3 year old class at this same center which was also something that was new for me and another good learning experience.

I had the opportunity to collaborate with a fantastic 2 year old teacher. Although our classes were two separate entities, we seem to work together as one. She found out what I was doing in my classroom and begin preparing her students. This made the transition a lot easier for them and also for me.

Whereas following a curriculum is important and required by the center; being proactive and observant to the needs of your students can provide them with the skills they need to be successful in their next classrooms. 

  



*Darla*

No comments: